Chenrezig Institute is located at 33 Johnsons Road, Eudlo, Queensland. It’s about 30km inland from Maroochydore, and 15km west of the Bruce Highway.
Open to the Public: We welcome visitors to our property Tuesday to Sunday but respectfully request that Mondays are a private day across the property. If you are visiting the property for the first time we recommend that you visit Wednesday to Sunday and stop in at our shop and reception space to orient yourself and speak with one of friendly team.
Christmas and New Years Trading and closures:
- Wednesday 21st December: Open as usual
- Thursday 22nd December: Open as usual
- Friday 23rd December: Open as usual
- Saturday 24th December: Closed to the Public as we prepare for retreat. Both Cafe and Reception are closed.
- Sunday 25th December: Closed to the Public
- Monday 26th December: Closed to the Public. Reception Open to Retreat Guests 4pm – 7pm. Cafe Open to Retreat guests who have booked supper.
- Tuesday 27th December: Open as usual
- Wednesday 28th December: Open as usual
- Thursday 29th December: Open as usual
- Friday 30th December: Open as usual
- Saturday 31st December: Open as usual
- Sunday 1st January: Open as usual
- Monday 2nd January: Closed to the Public. Reception Open to Retreat Guests 4pm – 7pm. Cafe Open to Retreat guests who have booked supper.
Remember to book your Lunch!: Our Big Love Cafe cooks fantastic vegetarian meals just let us know you are coming before 9:30am so that we can cook one for you. Booking and prices on the Big Love Cafe Page
Shop and Reception Opening hours:
- Tuesday 10am to 2pm
- Wednesday to Friday 9am to 4pm
- Saturday 8:30am to 4pm
- Sunday 9am to 5pm
Please note that from time to time our opening hours will change to meet the needs of the centre’s program, particularly in relation to retreats and special events. You can contact our friendly shop and reception team on: 5453 2108
Elderly, Sick or Disabled Visitors – Please note that the Institute is set in steep hills with many stairs and narrow tracks. Some areas might be difficult to access for less mobile people. Unfortunately we do not currently have disabled bathroom facilities on site. If you are considering visiting we recommend you contact us to discuss what help may be available.
Disabled Access: Visitors with disabilities or who have difficulties walking up the main steps can drive to the drop-off / temporary parking zone close to the reception by following the path on the left of the main steps. This is labeled with ‘authorised vehicles only’.
School or Group Visits – We strongly recommend that groups organise a visit by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org This allows us to best meet your needs and ensure a successful visit from both sides. It is important to recognise that the community is often engaged in study and practice. Groups that arrive unannounced will not have access to the main temple or to institute staff or monastics.
It may be possible to organise a monastic to provide a talk specifically to your group, depending on their other responsibilities. As monastics are not paid and rely on the kindness of generosity we recommend a suggested donation of $108 plus their travel expenses.
Please note that the Institute is set in steep hills with many stairs and narrow tracks. Some areas might be difficult to access for less mobile people. View Larger Map
Travelling by Public Transport
The nearest train station to Chenrezig Institute is at Eudlo, approx. 8km away. Eudlo is served by the Sunshine Coast line, from Brisbane via Caboolture. Train timetables can be viewed at the Translink website or call them on 13 12 30 for information.
The only available transport from Eudlo up to Chenrezig Institute is by taxi (approximately $15 / $20) – unfortunately we cannot offer any pick-up services. To avoid possible long waits, we advise you to pre-book your taxi as soon as you know the arrival time of your train, on 131008. Eudlo is small, it doesn’t have a taxi rank. It has a general store, post office and a cafe.
The closest airport is Maroochydore (Sunshine Coast) Airport, which is a 35min drive away. However there is no direct public transport connection to Eudlo, only Taxis.
Brisbane Airport is about 1,5 hours away. The airport train links with the Sunshine Coast line (change at Eagle Junction). The train journey from the airport (domestic and international) to Eudlo takes between 1,5 – 2,5 hours depending on the connection. Check Translink website for details.
Travelling By Car
Navigation systems and Google maps often show the route through Mooloolah and via Neil Road/Brooks Road, but we do not recommend this route as it is largely on a narrow dirt road.
We recommend to take the route via Eudlo and Highlands Road:
- Make your way to Eudlo (either via Chevallum/Palmwoods coming from Bruce Highway (Exit 200 – Chevallum/Mons Road), or Ilkley Road coming from Sippy Downs, or Eudlo-Mooloolah Road coming from Landsborough/Mooloolah)
- When you reach the township of Eudlo, turn onto Highlands Road at the corner of the Public School.
- Travel along Highlands Road for 4 km, at the end of the sealed road turn left onto Rambert Road.
- Climb up the hill and at the top, after approx. 2 km, turn right, pass under the high voltage power line and take the left fork to Chenrezig Institute following the sign.
- After passing the entrance gate with the Snow Lions follow the road further up the hill until you reach the main car park at the end. The main stairs to your right lead up to the shop, reception, cafe and gompa.
- Disabled access: people with disabilities or difficulties to walk up the long main stairs can drive to the drop-off / temporary parking zone close to the reception by following the path on the left of the main stairs that is labeled with ‘authorised vehicles only’.
Please note that Rambert Road does NOT connect to Maleny-Montville Rd, as indicated in some maps.